One

Kekule
 

Wichtige Termine im Wintersemester 2018/19
  • Beginn der Vorlesungszeit: 08.10.2018
  • Ende der Vorlesungszeit: 01.02.2019
  • Die Vorlesungen fallen aus: 22.12.2018-05.01.2019
  • Dies acdemicus: 05.12.2018
  • Feiertage: 01.11.2018
Bonn International Graduate School of Chemistry

GDCh Ortsverband Bonn

 

GDCh-Logo


Vorsitzender: Prof. Dr. A. Lützen


Jungchemikerforum Bonn


logo

KOPO 2019

KOPO 2019 logo Schrift.jpg

KOPO 2017

KOPO 2017 logo.jpg

 
Two
FG Chemie auf uni-bonn.tv

Die 7. Folge der uni-bonn.tv-Serie "Frag
die Bonner Forscher" beschäftigt sich
mit der Frage, warum die Elemente im
Periodensystem genau auf diese Weise
angeordnet sind. Im Videoclip wird u. a.
der Schalenaufbau der Elektronenhülle
und der daraus resultierende Aufbau
des Periodensystems erklärt.

 

Veröffentlichungen
Chemiker berechnen „Abkürzung“ für Katalysator
O. Hollóczki, S. Gehrke, Angew. Chem. 2017, 10.1002/ange.201708305. (link)
In der Zeitschrift Angew. Chem. stellen Dr. Oldamur Hollóczki, Mulliken Center für Theoretische Chemie der Universität Bonn, und Sascha Gehrke, Mulliken Center für Theoretische Chemie der Universität Bonn und Max-Planck-Institut für Chemische Energiekonversion, einen neuartigen Reaktionsweg für die Organokatalyse mit N-heterozyklischen Carbenen (NHCs)  vor. Der Protonentransfer und die Herstellung der Bindung zwischen Katalysator und Substrat geschehen gleichzeitig in einem einzelnen Elementarschritt, ohne dass eine freie Carbenspezies in der Reaktionsmischung auftritt.
Weitere Informationen: (link)
 
Are There Carbenes in N-Heterocyclic Carbene Organocatalysis?
O. Hollóczki, S. Gehrke, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017,10.1002/anie.201708305 (link)
A novel reaction pathway for N-heterocyclic carbene organocatalysis has been identified. In this process, proton transfer and the binding of the substrate to the catalyst occur simultaneously in a single elementary reaction step, without the formation of a free carbene molecule in the reaction mixture.
  

 

 
Sie sind hier: Startseite Geschichte

History

Diese Seite ist momentan nicht auf deutsch verfügbar...


This article was compiled by Heinrich Wamhoff and Martin G. Peter.
The seal of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was designed by Burkhardt Helferich and Mrs. Groth.


1. The University of Bonn
The University of Bonn was originally founded by the Elector and Archbishop of Cologne in 1777 as an Academy. In 1786 it achieved the status of a university; however, one decade later it fell victim to the political upheaval caused by the French Revolution.
After the Congress of Vienna in 1815, the Rhineland came under Prussian rule. On 18th October 1818 King Friedrich-Wilhelm III (1770-1840) of Prussia founded a new university. Thus, in 1993 the 175th anniversary of the University of Bonn was celebrated.
From the beginning there existed Faculties of Law, Medicine and Philosophy as well as two Theological Faculties. In 1934 the Agricultural High School became Faculty, and in 1936 the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences separated from the Faculty of Philosophy.
The new university was first accomodated in the Elector's Residence Palace and the Elector's summer residence, "Clemensruhe", in Poppelsdorf, which was at that time a little village 1 km to the West of Bonn. Clemensruhe was surrounded by one of the best arranged and loveliest botanical gardens in Germany. During the 19th century the University Hospital and Medicinal Department moved into new buildings in the North of Bonn. The agricultural and natural sciences expanded into the suburb Poppelsdorf. The main building of the university, and most of the University Hospital were destroyed by an air raid exactly on its foundation date (!) 18th October 1944. The Poppelsdorf castle and the neighboring Chemical Institute (built 1864-1868) were partly destroyed shortly afterwards in another air raid. In 1945 reconstruction was started, and on 30th June 1951, the main building, the former Elector's Residence Palace, was inaugurated. It houses mainly the humane sciences and fine arts. The University Hospital was reestablished in the Venusberg area. The institutes for natural sciences and agriculture, among them the chemical institute, were settled in the suburb Poppelsdorf.
The number of students has grown steadily from 6.521 in 1950/51 to a maximum of 40.153 in the winter semester of 1987/88. Today (1993/94), the university counts 36.775 students (chemistry 1.409 students), and 538 professors, 73 assistant professors and 114 docents and lecturers. The social services of the University offer 28 students dormitories, 4 dining halls and 9 refreshment cafeterias.


2. Chemistry in Bonn
Actually, chemistry started in Bonn as part of the "Academy" in 1793, when Dr. med. Ferdinand Wurzer became renowned for his analysis of Bad Godesberg's mineral source "Draitsch-Quelle". However, after only a few years, the Academy was closed.
After the foundation of the university in 1818, chemistry was taught in Bonn together with pharmacy and physics by Karl Wilhelm Gottlob Kastner. He had only four students and lectured in a small room in the Poppelsdorf castle. Kastner invented a kind of decantation machine. One of his students was the young Justus von Liebig who followed him in 1821 after he was offered a chair by the University of Erlangen. Kastner had an annual budget of 400 Taler at hand including 50 Taler for his assistant. Already in 1819, Karl Gustav Bischof had been called to Bonn as Extraordinarius for Technology. His lectures earned great appreciation, and as a consequence of his chemical analyses, mineral water sources of Lippspringe and Neuenahr have been sunk and exploited.
In 1845 August Wilhelm Hofmann, one of the most talented scholars of Liebig, was habilitated under Bischof in Bonn. However, he left shortly afterwards, because he had received an attractive offer from London. By demonstrating some of his experiments, Hofmann had impressed Queen Victoria of England and her husband Prince Albert, who had been an undergraduate at the University of Bonn from 1837 to 1838, who were visiting Bonn on the occassion of the inauguration of the Beethoven monument. Thus, he was appointed to build a chemistry laboratory in England.
In 1850 Carl Heinrich Detlev Boedeker took over the teaching of chemistry. However, he left Bonn in 1854 to accept a call to Göttingen as Extraordinarius for physiological chemistry. With Hans Heinrich Landolt stemming from Zürich and habilitated in Breslau, teaching and experimental work received such an impetus that finally 30 students had to be housed in the small laboratory. Landolt had to present his lecture on "Experimentalchemie" twice a day, as the lecture room was to small to accomodate the students. One of the outstanding and lasting accomplishments of Landolt was the editing of a "Handbook of Physical Chemistry", well known today as "Landolt-Börnstein".


Two outstanding scholars of Liebig were invited to foreign universities: the former Privatdozent at Bonn, August Wilhelm Hofmann, who headed the Royal College of Chemistry in London; and Friedrich August Kekulé from Darmstadt, first Privatdozent at Heidelberg (with Robert Bunsen), then full professor of chemistry in Gent, where he published his most famous work "Über die Konstitution des Benzols" (On the Constitution of Benzene). Both of these outstanding scientists received, one after another, a call to Bonn. Hofmann accepted on the condition that the university would build a new, larger chemical institute. Thus, according to his ideas and the design of the excellent university architect August Dieckhoff, what is now known as the "old chemical institute" was built between 1864-1868 on a site facing the Poppelsdorf castle. The building cost was 433.000 Mark. At that time, it was considered the world's largest chemical institute. Besides three large laboratories (including ten adjoining rooms, two private laboratories, and a small and a large auditorium with preparatory rooms), this splendid building contained on the first floor an official residence for the director consisting of 11 rooms, a kitchen and bathrooms, and also a ball room for social events.
However, when Eilhard Mitscherlich, professor of chemistry at the University of Berlin, passed away on 28th September 1863, Hofmann, just invited to Bonn, received the honorable offer to succeed Mitscherlich. Hofmann accepted. The construction of a new chemistry institute began immediately in Berlin. Thus, Hofmann supervised the consecutive construction of both institutes in Bonn and Berlin.
The brick-work of the Bonn institute was completed, when in 1867, the Prussian Ministry called Kekulé to co-direct the chemical institute in Bonn with Landolt. Kekulé accepted this honorable call, and thus began one of the most fruitful periods of the chemistry in Bonn. The festive inauguration of this splendid institute occurred on 11th May 1868. Shortly thereafter, Landolt took a position as professor at the Techiical University Aachen. Now Kekulé was the sole director of the newly opened institute. He was able to develop his personal scientific style and to establish a world renowned school of chemistry in Bonn.
Kekulé directed the chemistry institute in Bonn for nearly three decades, and in that time he attracted a large number of young undergraduate and advanced students. Among them were Emil Fischer, the later Nobel laureate, and Jacobus Henricus, Van't Hoff, who wanted to become acquainted with Kekulé's atomic theory first hand. An addition to the institute building was soon necessary, and Kekulé was granted this extension when he declined an honorable offer from the University of München to succeed his academic teacher, Justus von Liebig, in 1873.
Over the years many of his assistants were habilitated to 'Privat-Dozenten' (26 from 1868-1918). They received much stimulation and ample facilities in this modern building for their independent scientific research work. Most of them became famous university professors or accepted leading positions in the chemical industry.
Some of Kekulé's best known assistants were: Theodor Zincke, Otto Wallach (Extraordinarius, moved 1875 to Marburg/Lahn), Ludwig Claisen (later professor in Aachen and Kiel), Richard Anschütz (1884 Extraordinarius, 1898 Kekulé's successor as director in Bonn), Heinrich Klinger (1889 Extraordinarius for pharmaceutical chemistry, moved in 1895 to Königsberg), Julius Bredt (went 1897 as Claisen's successor to Aachen), Felix Klingemann (1894 to Casella & Co., Frankfurt/M.), Emil Erlenmeyer (became 1893 Extraordinarius at the University of Strasbourg).
Kekulé died on 13th July 1896, and Theodor Curtius, discoverer of hydrazine and hydrazoic acid, came to Bonn from Kiel on 1st April 1897. However, before the promised substantial extension of the institute could be started, Curtius accepted a call to Heidelberg. Thus, on 1st April 1898, Richard Anschütz was appointed as full professor, director and successor of his academic teacher, Kekulé. The second extension of the chemistry institute was accomplished in collaboration with the Royal surveyor Robert Schulze from spring 1899 until winter 1901 at a cost of 332.000 Mark. After the extension 340 students could be trained in a wide range of chemical methods in 8 laboratories.
During the winter semester 1902/03 the Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm and the Prince Eitel Friedrich, and in the summer semester 1904 Prince Oskar, all members of the Prussian Royal family, attended Anschütz's lecture "Experimentalchemie". On 9th July 1903 Prince Eitel Friedrich von Preussen unveiled a monument of Kekulé created by Hans Everding and sponsered by friends, scholars, and admirers of Kekulé.
Anschütz was assisted by three heads of department who held positions of Extraordinarii. For analytical, special inorganic, and physical chemistry, he was assisted by Eberhard Rimbach starting in 1904. Beginning in 1913 Alfred Benrath assisted him for the field analytical and special inorganic chemistry. And beginning in 1903 Alfred Partheil was responsible for pharmaceutical chemistry (called "Pharmazeutischer Apparat"), and was later assisted by Gustav Frerichs. Karl Kippenberger succeeded Partheil, and included the chemistry of foodstuffs.
In the past Kekulé period, until 1918 the following assistants were habilitated: Walter Loeb, Georg Schroeter, Arthur Binz, Hans Reitter, Hermann Pauly, Conrad Laar, Otto Schmidt, Emil Mannheim, Hans Meerwein, Julius Gewecke, Alfons Deschauer and Robert Wintgen. Among these assistants Hans Meerwein, later on professor in Marburg, was the most brilliant chemist.
World War I brought some turbulences to the chemistry in Bonn. Because 7 of 9 assistants went to the army, the number of students shrunk to one third its normal size. The armistice of 1918/19 led to an interesting situation. The British occupying forces confiscated the two largest laboratories and six adjoining rooms in order to teach students within the British Army chemistry. This led to considerable overcrowding due to a large number of German students at that time.
In 1921 Richard Anschütz retired, and Paul Pfeiffer from the University of Karlsruhe succeeded him. Paul Pfeiffer, a former student in Bonn, went first to Zürich, where he collaborated for more than 20 years with Alfred Werner, from whom he had received the inspiration of the coordination chemistry. Due to his all-round talent, besides stereochemistry of complexes he worked successfully in various fields of organic chemistry, such as the structure of betaines, quinhydrones, and oxines. Furthermore, he worked on stilbenes, indoles, chalcones, chromanones, metal salts of amino acids, and the theory of coloring.
In 1927 after Pfeiffer declined a call to succeed Hantzsch in Leipzig, he was able to obtain 1927 a renovation and extension of the institute including two additional large laboratories and a large auditorium.
After Rimbach's retirement, Benrath took charge of the physical chemistry lectures. In 1924 a special division of physical chemistry was founded. It was directed by Andreas von Antropoff from Karlsruhe.
After Hans Meerwein left Bonn for Königsberg in 1922, he was succeeded by Walther Dilthey who moved from Erlangen to Bonn. Dilthey was involved with questions of color and constitution of organic molecules; together with Robert Wizinger, habilitated in 1928, he developed a color theory ("Der Bonner Punkt") which was an important precursor to the theory of electronic structure and radicals. In the same year, the assistant and Privatdozent Heinrich Rheinboldt took over the direction of the analytical and inorganic section; however in 1934 he had to emigrate, and Otto Schmitz-Du Mont became his successor.
Besides Wizinger the following assistants were habilitated for chemistry and physical chemistry, respectively: Eduard Hertel (1925), Otto Schmitz-Du Mont (1927), Hermann Ludwig Orthner (1929), Mark Freiherr von Stackelberg (1930), and Hermann-Josef Antweiler (1939). M. von Stackelberg became professor in 1936, and H. J. Antweiler in 1946. Both stayed in Bonn upon their retirement.
Wizinger had to leave Bonn under the pressure of the Nazi regime; he went to Switzerland and founded the Institut für Farbenchemie in Basel, but after the world war he was again a regular guest lecturer in Bonn covering the fields of color theory and dyes.
During World War II, the chemistry building was partially damaged in an air raid on 4th February 1945 as well as parts of the Poppelsdorf castle. The right front tower of the chemistry building was hit by phosphorus bombs and burned out. However, in March of 1946 more than half of the rooms and laboratories could be utilized. Only one year later the whole building could again be used.
In 1947 Pfeiffer retired. He was succeeded by Burckhardt Helferich who, together with several hundreds of scientists, was transported from middle-Germany in 1945 by US occupation troops before these territories were conceded to the Red Army. Among these scientists were Helferich's assistant Joachim Goerdeler, and Rolf Appel who was several years later (1962) appointed to Bonn. Helferich, a former student of Emil Fischer, made excellent contributions in the fields of carbohydrates and enzymes. He was also interested in pharmacologically active sultams. In 1950/51 Helferich was elected as Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences. During the academic year 1954/55, he was rector of the university and received the Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia on his visit to Germany. For 1956/57 he was President of the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker. During Helferich's era Bruno Blaser became professor in 1949, and Heinz Krebs was habilitated in inorganic chemistry in 1950, and Joachim Goerdeler and Hermann Stetter in organic chemistry in 1952. In 1955 Stetter accepted a call to the University of München. Goerdeler became tenure professor in 1959 and directed a section of heterocyclic chemistry until 1977. Krebs followed a call to the University of Stuttgart in 1960. In 1955 Friedhelm Korte came as a young Privatdozent from the University of Hamburg and continued his work in natural products, lactones, and metabolisms via labeled heterocycles in Bonn. Ernst Kordes (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences 1961/62), former professor at the University of Jena, joined the staff as Professor of Structure Chemistry. In 1956 Lothar von Erichsen moved from the agricultural faculty and taught nuclear chemistry. In 1954 a new separation phase began with regard to the different sections of pharmaceutical, inorganic, and physical chemistry which all moved into their own departments. Thus, Karl Winterfeld moved into the newly built pharmazeutical-chemical institute Kreuzbergweg. Otto Schmitz Du-Mont (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences 1964/65) became Extraordinarius and, in 1960, the first Director of the inorganic chemistry institute. He worked on reactions in liquid ammonia, color and constitution of complexes, and inorganic pigments. In 1963 Günter Bergerhoff habilitated in structural inorganic chemistry and metallo complexes; he became tenure professor in 1968.
In 1954, after the appointment of Wilhelm Groth from the University of Hamburg in 1950, the physical chemistry institute moved into a new building in Wegelerstraße. Groth (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences 1954/55) was famous for his research on gas phase (photo) chemistry in his especially built "Bonner Kugel", and in his development of UF6 ultracentrifuges, in collaboration with Harteck of the RPI, Troy, NY. He was elected rector of the academic year 1965/66. In 1956 Robert Haul followed Groth from Hamburg to Bonn where he studied adsorption phenomena on surfaces. In 1962 Haul became full professor and accepted in 1964 a call to the Technical University Hannover. In 1960 Rudolf Tschesche (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences 1966/67 and 1967/68), well-known in the field of steroids bitter principles and cyclopeptides, followed Helferich. During this time the 92 year old chemistry building was renovated, enlarged, and fitted out with modern analytical equipment, such as IR, UV, NMR and MS. The inorganic chemical institute, now independent, and Rolf Appel, an elementorganic, organophosphorus and phospha-alkene(alkine) chemist was appointed in 1962 from the University of Heidelberg to Bonn. The institute was completed some years later by a second inorganic colleague, Heinrich Puff (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Scienes 1981/82), a solid state chemist, who came from the University of Kiel in 1967. During the years 1960-1981 Friedhelm Korte became Extraordinarius (1964) and full professor (1967), and Günther Legler, Hans Machleidt, Günter Snatzke, Hans-Dieter Scharf, Heinrich Wamhoff, Peter Welzel and Günter Wulff habilitated in organic chemistry, while Dirk Reinen, Jürgen Friebel, Bernd Ross, Dieter Hänssgen and Ingo Ruppert habilitated in inorganic chemistry.
When Günter Snatzke was appointed to chair the structural chemistry section at the University of Bochum, he was succeeded in 1975 by Eberhard Breitmaier, an expert in modern NMR techniques applied on natural products structure elucidation. In 1972 Heinrich Wamhoff became tenure professor of organic chemistry working in the field of heterocycles and photochemistry. Legler, Machleidt, Scharf, Welzel, Reinen, and Friebel, all left Bonn, while Ross and Hänssgen became tenure professors in inorganic chemistry, working on fifth group elements and tin-nitrogen, tin-phosphorus chemistry.
In the physical chemistry institute Hans-Dieter Beckey, Karl-Heinz Welge, and Wolf Vielstich habilitated between 1959 and 1962. Beckey and Vielstich became full professors in 1965 and 1972, respectively, the latter as successor of Groth, while Welge became professor at the University of Bielefeld. Furthermore, the (gas phase) photochemists Franz-Josef Comes, Karl-Heinz Becker, and Ulrich Schurath, and Franz-Wilhelm Röllgen, working on modern MS techniques, became Privatdozenten and eventually tenure professors. More recently Karsten Levsen and Dieter Kley habilitated. Comes received a call to the University of Frankfurt in 1973 and Becker to the Gesamthochschule Wuppertal in 1974. His successor at Bonn was Robert J. Buenker, former guest professor stemming from the University of Nebraska, USA, who accepted a chair in theoretical chemistry at the Gesamthochschule Wuppertal in 1977.
When it became necessary to extend the physical chemistry department by establishing a chair for theoretical chemistry, Karl-Heinz Hansen was appointed in 1967. After his unexpected death in 1970, Sigrid Peyerimhoff (Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences 1975/76) from Mainz University was appointed to succeed him in 1972. This was the starting point for the rapid upgrowth of this section of theoretical chemistry, especially in the field of ab initio quantum chemical methods and theoretical description of electronically excited states. W. H. Eugen Schwarz was the first who habilitated in 1972 in this field in Bonn. He accepted an appointment to the University of Siegen in 1976.


The New Institutes in Endenich
A new era for chemistry in Bonn began 1972/73 when organic and inorganic chemistry moved, after 105 glorious years in Poppelsdorf, into the New Building in Endenich (Gerhard-Domagk-Straße 1). The building project was originally planned in 1956/57. After several delays the new building made from prefabricated units was ready for occupation. The inorganic institute began in 1972, and in 1973 the organic institute followed.
Rudolf Tschesche retired in 1975, and was followed by the natural compounds and peptide chemist Wolfgang Steglich from the Technical University (TU) Berlin. In turn, Friedhelm Korte accepted a call to the TU München in 1972, and simultaneously became Director of the Institut für Ökologische Chemie der Gesellschaft für Strahlen- und Umweltforschung, München-Neuherberg. He was succeeded by Fritz Vögtle, expert in the field of supramolecular chemistry, from the University of Würzburg. In 1978 a biochemical division was established and Konrad Sandhoff, a renowned biochemist in the sphingolipid, glycoconjugate and membrane fields, at the Max-Planck-Institut für Psychiatrie, München, accepted the call in 1979. He was elected as Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences in 1992/93 and in 1993/94.
On 5th December 1973, shortly after the new 14.350 sq. yard institute came into full use, a big fire in the educational part damaged the supply towers of the organic institute. This caused nearly one year of severe disturbance to chemistry instruction at Bonn. After reconstruction of a (now) fire-proof exhaust system, the whole institute came back to normal activity in October 1975.
After Joachim Goerdeler retired in 1977 and Günter Wulff went to the University of Düsseldorf, new colleagues joined the teaching and research staff in organic chemistry. In 1981 Eberhard Steckhan, an expert in electro organic chemistry, came from the University of Münster. Dieter Enders, Manfred T. Reetz, Siegfried Blechert, and Herbert Waldmann, all promising and successful young scientists, stayed only a limited time before they got honorable calls to other universities. In 1982 and 1984, respectively, Martin Peter and Edwin Weber habilitated in organic chemistry.
In the inorganic institute, Rolf Appel had to retire in 1986, and was succeeded by Edgar Niecke from Bielefeld University in the same year. Heinrich Puff retired one year later (1987), and Martin Jansen of the University of Hannover was appointed as his successor. This brought a new phase of modern inorganic research in the fields of organometallic and organophosphorus chemistry as well as in solid state chemistry, new materials, and superconductors.
In the meantime after personal extension, the ancient Groth institute in the Wegelerstraße was renamed in "Institut für Physikalische und Theoretische Chemie". Despite all of the extension and reconstruction, this institute was filled to capacity. In 1979 Hans-Dieter Beckey, renowned in the field of novel MS techniques, had to retire early due to an insidious illness. In 1982 the photochemist Martin Quack was called from the University of Göttingen as his successor. However, after only one year Quack followed an honorable appointment to the ETH Zürich. Joachim Bargon succeeded him in 1984, switching from a position as department manager of the IBM research center, San Jose in California. In 1981 Joachim Römelt habilitated in theoretical chemistry, and Joachim Heitbaum in physical chemistry. Wolfgang Schmickler habilitated in electrochemistry in 1984.
In 1988 Klaus Wandelt, working on surface analysis and physics at the Fritz-Haber-Institut of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft and the Freie Universität Berlin, succeeded Vielstich upon his retirement.
In the nuclear chemistry section Lothar von Erichsen retired in 1980 and was succeeded by Dieter C. Aumann of the TU München in 1981. Bernd Arthur Hess, a guest Professor in 1986-1990, was appointed for theoretical chemistry in 1990.


Recent Developments
In the past years, there has been no shortage of young talent in all three institutes. In organic chemistry Atanassios Giannis habilitated in biochemistry in 1992. In inorganic chemistry Wolfgang Schnick and Hans Reuter in 1992. Klaus Kern became Privatdozent in physical chemistry in 1989. Ms. Christel M. Marian and Bernd Engels both habilitated in theoretical chemistry in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Due to a tight cooperation of the Faculty of Natural Sciences with the Research Centre Jülich (KFA), several mutual appointments have been offered in the field of chemistry to Georg Comsa, Christian Wandrey, and Ulrich Stimming. Furthermore, the instruction in the special field of industrial chemistry was strongly supplemented by a large number of honorary professors. Traditionally, many of those were stemming from the Bayer AG in Leverkusen: Ulrich Haberland (beginning 1954), Siegfried Petersen (1962), Gustav Schaum (1968), Herbert Grünewald (1975), Wolfgang Swodenk (1981), Werner Büchner (1985), and Karl Heinz Büchel (1989). Some additional colleagues joined the teachers staff, from the Max-Planck-Institut in Mülheim/Ruhr: Günther Otto Schenk (1961) and Heinz Hoberg (1978), from the Verlag Chemie, Weinheim: Helmut Grünewald (1961), and from the Ministerium für Umweltschutz, Naturschutz und Reaktorsicherheit Ulrich Schlottmann (1991). After retirement of Günther Bergerhoff, dean of the chemistry library for many years and eager promoter of electronic data transmission nets, Bernd Harbrecht, working in solid state and metal chalcogenide chemistry, was called from the University of Dortmund in 1992. Karl Heinz Dötz, working in the field of metallorganic chemistry, came from the University of Marburg in 1992 and followed Steglich, who accepted a honorable call to the University of München to succeed Rolf Huisgen. Werner Mader received an appointment to Bonn in 1993. He came from the Max-Planck-Institut für Metallforschung in Stuttgart. Helmut Baltruschat, an electrochemist, joined the staff in 1993. In 1994 Wilhelm Boland from the University of Karlsruhe has accepted one of the first chairs in the field of bioorganic chemistry at the University of Bonn.
Several cooperative research centers (Sonderforschungsbereiche [SFB]) supported by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft are focused in three special research areas : SFB 284 "Glykokonjugate und Kontaktstrukturen der Zelloberfläche", SFB 334 "Wechselwirkungen in Molekülen", and SFB 1471 "Molekulare Grundlagen zentralnervöser Erkrankungen". Furthermore, several graduate colleges "Spektroskopie isolierter und kondensierter Moleküle", and "Funktionelle Proteindomänen" compliment the teaching curriculum.


Final Remarks
In this article, I have tried to present a short history of the chemistry in Bonn ending with today's actual situation (January 1994). This review can by no means be exhaustive, but hopefully I could reveal that the chemistry in Bonn has seen 176 exciting years involving rapid development in all fields.
At any time chemistry has been well received by the students due to the broad choice of teaching and research areas offered traditionally. Lecture halls and laboratories were always well utilized but sometimes crowded. In the eighties the chemistry institute in Bonn held a key position with regard to the number of students (maximum in winter semester 1990/91: 1.561 chemistry students; in winter semester 1993/94: 1.409 students).
Since 1818, numerous publications and papers have appeared from Bonn covering all fields of chemistry. Nevertheless, it should not fall into oblivion, that on the historical trail the name 'Bonn' stands for numerous splendid names: Hofmann, Landolt, Kekulé, van't Hoff, Wallach, Claisen, Anschütz, Bredt, Curtius, Schroeter, Meerwein, Benrath, and many others. Also attributed to the University of Bonn are several historical discoveries and notions, such as
 

  • first photoreduction of carbonyl compounds, found by Heinrich Klinger 1883

  • terpene chemistry by Otto Wallach 1884

  • tautomerism, firstly formulated by Conrad Laar 1885

  • distillation adapter by Richard Anschütz and Thiele (Anschütz-Thiele Vorstoß) 1887

  • vacuum distillation (R. Anschütz, "Die Destillation unter vemindertem Druck", 1887)

  • polarography - invented simultaneously by Mark Freiherr von Stackelberg in Bonn and Jaroslav Heyrovsky, Prague, about 1921

  • rearrangement of camphene hydrochloride into isobornylchloride by Hans Meerwein 1922

  • constitution of Betaines by Paul Pfeiffer 1922

  • "Coordination Theory, Stereochemistry, Complex Chemistry of Inorganic and Organic Compounds" by Paul Pfeiffer 1922/23

  • Der "Bonner Punkt" first formulation of a radical species with the color theory and precursor of the electronic theory by Walter Dilthey and Robert Wizinger 1928

  • the physicochemical handbook "Landolt-Börnstein"

  • black phosphorus modification by catalytic transformation by Heinz Krebs 1951




Bibliography:
R.Anschütz: Das Chemische Institut in "Geschichte der Universität Bonn 1818-1933", Verlag Friedrich Cohen, Bonn, 1933.
R. Anschütz, R. Schulze: Das Chemische Institut der Universität Bonn, Verlag Friedrich Cohen, Bonn, 1904.
J. Bargon: August Kekulé and the "Kekulé-Chemistry Building" at the University of Bonn in "The Kekulé Riddle", J. H. Wotiz (ed), Cache River Press, Clearwater, FL, USA, 1992, pp 33-49.
B. Helferich: Berühmte Chemiker an der Universität Bonn, Bonner Universitätsblätter 1974, 25.
G. Knopp: Das Gebäude des alten Chemischen Instituts der Universität Bonn; "The dignity of a great public building dedicated to science", Jahrbuch der Rheinischen Denkmalspflege, Bd. 33. 1989.
Several Authors: Chemistry in Bonn, 1st Edition, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, 1982
R. Tschesche: Die Geschichte der Chemischen Institute der Universität Bonn, Bonner Universitätsblätter 1965, 27.

Artikelaktionen